Friday, November 28, 2008

On the edge of surviving my first vegetarian Thanksgiving!





It's the day after Thanksgiving.... I am on the completed edge of my first vegetarian Thanksgiving with my family. Successfully completed without controversy. We actually had a nice Thanksgiving... you never know what kind of holiday you are going to get. This one was a good one.

So why is it so significant that I am a vegetarian at my family's table? It amazes me that people that are "family" can have such completely opposing views on the world. I think everyone has moments where they think - Am I really related to these people???? How can we be SO different? In this situation it applies to my brother primarily - he's a cowboy and a ferrier by trade, rodeos and raises bucking bulls as well. He's a good guy, I love my brother - but, wow, does he have a different view on the world. A few Thanksgivings back we practically had world war three around the table debating the Florida amendment to ban pig gestation crates. It ruined Thanksgiving that year. I am a member of the Humane Society – they (my brother and his wife) HATE the HSUS. And they REALLY hate PETA. And it makes sense – everything that their lives are about are all greatly opposed by those organizations. We have very differently ideologies.

So this year I was concerned that the topic of vegetarianism might come up. In comparison to the debate on the gestation crates - this discussion probably would have been THE actual apocalypse. Thankfully we all ate and no one noticed that I or my sister didn't have a slice of carcass on our plates. I also enjoyed a helping of dressing that was made with veggie broth instead of chicken stock - thanks to my very accommodating parents. I fixed my plate last and pulled a serving from what appeared to be the "extra" pan of dressing. Sneaky.

I am a conflicted veggie this holiday season, as I am sure that many are. On one hand I want to stay "in the pantry" and cause no commotion over our personal eating choices. Ensure that no one has to go out of their way to accommodate my preferences. Essentially keep the holiday peace.

On the other hand - I want to jump up on the table and proselytize to everyone who can hear me. I want to wear a t shirt that says "if you knew what I know - you wouldn't eat that". Or one that says "we are all being LIED to" !

So how DID all this get started? That will be my next post…. If you don’t care to know – don’t read the next blog post. I think the one after that one will be about why we don’t have kids… and I’ll give a shout out to my friend Anne Marie who shares my sentiments on the kiddies!!!

For now, I am thankful that we had a good Thanksgiving this year. I am at home today giving thanks that I no longer work retail especially on black Friday. I hope everyone enjoyed time with their friends and family. I am looking forward to a VERY festive "meat free" holiday season.

No comments:

Post a Comment